Mechanical is an engineering discipline that involves the application of principles of physics for analysis, design, manufacturing, and maintenance of mechanical systems.
It requires a solid understanding of core concepts including mechanics, kinematics,thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and energy. Mechanical engineers use the core principles as well as other knowledge in the field to design and analyze motor vehicles, aircraft, heating and cooling systems, watercraft, manufacturing plants, industrial equipment and machinery, robotics, medical devices and more.
The sub disciplines of mechanical engg are:
- Mechanics having composed of statics, dynamics, mechanics of materials, fluid mechanics and continuum mechanics.
- Kinematics which is a study of the motion of bodies (objects) and systems (groups of objects), while ignoring the forces that cause the motion.
- Mechatronics is an interdisciplinary branch of mechanical engineering,electrical engineering and software engineering that is concerned with integrating electrical and mechanical engineering to create hybrid systems.
- Robotics is the application of mechatronics to create robots, which are often used in industry to perform tasks that are dangerous, unpleasant, or repetitive.
- Structural analysis is the branch of mechanical engineering (and also civil engineering) devoted to examining why and how objects fail. Structural failures occur in two general modes: static failure, and fatigue failure.
- Thermodynamics is an applied science used in several branches of engineering, including mechanical and chemical engineering. At its simplest, thermodynamics is the study of energy, its use and transformation through asystem.
- Drafting or technical drawing is the means by which mechanical engineers create instructions for manufacturing parts.
- Thermal Engg. Application in Power plant, Process industries.
- Aerodynamic finds application in Aerospace Industries.
Typical career path scenarios for Mechanical Engineering are :
Mechanical Engineers could work in many industries including private or public sector industries of various types and in various functions as Production Engineers, Works Engineer, Maintenance, Production Planning & Control, Quality Control & Assurance, testing, research, development and design, technical Sales & Marketing, service, erection and commissioning and several more.
Mechanical engineers are also required in automobile, chemical, electronics, steel plants, oil exploration and refining,
Process Industries technical wings of armed forces, space research organization, etc
- Several government departments including Posts and Telegraphs, Defense, PWD, and CPWD employ mechanical engineers.
- Aeronautical, agricultural, automobile, chemical, and power plants, as well as the railways, need mechanical engineers to design and maintain their machinery.
- There is a huge requirement for mechanical engineers in steel, cement; constructions, infrastructure (maintenance) and process industries, Engineering Procurement Construction and contractor firms (EPC), Power plants, Nuclear power plants, manufacturing and operations all offer bright possibilities & opportunities.
- Many Indian Companies in EPC (Engineering Procurement & Consultancy field) are expanding internationally, as well as several reputed MNC's are setting up production facilities in India specially in Automobile & Components manufacturing and they are offering excellent employment opportunities to Mechanical Engineers.
Ques. What mechanical engg course is all about?
Ans. Mechanical engineering, amongst the core branches of engineering, the broadest in terms of application of all Engineering disciplines deals with design, production thermal Analysis and use of components, tools, machines and use & up keep of all other mechanical equipment used in industries. Mechanical engineering is concerned with all types of machinery in industries and all aspects of their mechanism and functioning; the design, development, construction, production, installation, operation and maintenance; such as large steam and gas turbines, components of thermal power stations, internal combustion engines, jet engines, machine tools, air conditioning and heating machines, refrigerators, compressors, railways, ships, etc. to name just a few.
Ques. What a mechanical engineer is expected to do?
Ans. They not only design and create new products, but also develop materials for them and technology of making them and producing them on the commercial scale needed by the market. Mechanical engineers are also involved in creating & producing consumer durables, automobiles, industrial & medical precision engineered instrumentations, the production equipments and processes for the future. They are the driving force behind many of our computer aided technologies and industrial processes including innovative products like hardwares for mobiles, PCs and DVD etc in our modern world.
Ques. What is the scope of this course?
Ans. The need for Mechanical Engineers exists across almost all industry segments like Mechanical equipment and machines and tools; components like bearings, gears etc. consumer durables and white goods, aeroplanes, ship building and any conceivable product having parts and components. Mechanical engineers are also required in automobile, chemical, electronics, steel plants, oil exploration and refining, technical wings of armed forces, space research organization, etc. Candidates with post graduate degree or an additional management degree could find work in administrative and managerial positions in government departments or public and private sector industries in techno-managerial positions or do research as well as teaching in Research and teaching institutes it they acquire specialized P.G. qualifications. In agricultural sector, mechanical engineers play a vital role by establishing service centers for maintenance of tractors, oil engines, pump sets, electric motors and other agricultural equipments. There is a huge requirement for mechanical engineers in steel, cement; constructions, infrastructure (maintenance) and process industries, Engineering Procurement Construction and contractor firms (EPC), Power plants, Nuclear power plants, manufacturing and operations all offer bright possibilities & opportunities.
Ques. What is the range of remuneration?
Ans. The remuneration and conditions of service depend on the industry and its function. Those engineers, who choose to work in the private sector, could negotiate their terms and conditions with the management themselves. Remunerations range from minimum 2.2 L.p.a. to 4.5 lacs. p.a. at the entry level & almost doubles with 4 to 5 years experience (5 L.p.a. to 12 L.p.a.). And for experienced engineers-sky is the limit. Being a core discipline, the demand will be sustained as the economy grows, and from average to brilliant, all levels of students can find employment opportunities befitting their expectation.